Thursday 30 May 2013

Flowery Gaming

Hi all,

It's been a while since my last post. I haven't been feeling very creative lately and have spent more time caking rather than crafting (and a bit of gaming too - been hooked on hidden object games lately, since I got my new iPad - the last one broke). It's just too addictive. Good thing I haven't started Candy Crush - I heard that one is unputdownable (I know that's not a word).

The week after Mother's Day, Miss C had a few days off school and hubby's company had a incentive trip, so we tagged along for a mini holiday to Tokyo. I know. We're not spoilt. At all.

 Waiting in the hotel lobby while we check in. That pillow has been on every single trip with us

Since we only had two full days, we spent one of them at Tokyo Disneysea. Yup, "Sea", not "Land". I didn't even know there was such a park, but it's right next to Tokyo Disneyland and features more sea-themed rides and attractions, naturally. This fit in perfectly for Miss C, since she loves Ariel and even got the chance to take a picture with her.  There was also one funny, idiot-parents moment, where we took her up on the Tower of Terror, not knowing it was a free-fall ride. She was NOT happy with us.

Tickled pink by Donald

The second full day was spent shopping and eating. We even went down to Tsujiki Market for fresh sushi. Boy, was Miss C in heaven. She absolutely loves sushi.

 Stack 'em up

As for the shopping, we even got to spend a quick hour at Tokyo Hand, so of course I had to get some more washi tape. Not a lot, but these ones are super cute - love them. I was actually more excited about the Le Creuset dutch oven hubby helped lug back for me - so much cheaper than what I can get for it here. And, it was baby blue! Love it.

The cutest washi. Not sure what I'll use it on but too cute to pass up. 

Anyway, enough about our little sojourn and back to that iPad I mentioned. My old one won't charge up anymore and Apple wants to charge me half the price of a new one to get it fixed. Better to get a new one, I say. So, that was my mother's day gift from the sweet hubs and child. I then went looking for a cover and settled for a plain raw canvas cover with the intent to alter it.

First, randomly brushed gesso over parts of the cover before spraying with peach, orange and yellow mists.
 I then used light modelling paste with a chevron mask and blue acrylic paint on the top and bottom corners with a herringbone mask.
 I then layered on flowers, bling, letters and some wooden arrows I had painted in the same blue paint. I made sure that none of the elements would be squashed or damaged when I folded the cover.
I left the back clean, but I'm still thinking of whether to spray it to match. What do you think?

When doing a project like this, where it will be handled a lot, make sure you use a strong glue and the colours will not rub off. I made sure to add extra glue to letters and bling, even thought they came with its own adhesive backing.

I love how tactile it is. I can't resist running my fingers through the flowers every time I pick up my iPad. I'm not too worried about taking it out as it will be mostly used at home, but it should withstand alot of wear and tear, being stuffed in bags and thrown around.

Products Used
Flowers, glass pebbles, roman numeral metal and chevron mask from Prima Marketing
Herringbone mask from Crafter's Workshop
Crystal flourish bling from Kaisercraft
Foma letters from Amy Tangerine Thickers by American Crafts
Wooden veneer arrows from Studio Calico
Modelling paste from Golden
Sprays in peach, oranges and yellows from various companies
Teal Zircon Silks acrylic glaze by Luminarte
Glossy Accents
Metallic flower, flower cabochons and glass bubble domes sourced locally

Hopefully, we've seen the end of my crafting funk and there will be more projects to post very soon.

Thanks for dropping by,



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...