Friday 10 May 2013

A Little Gift For Mum

Hi there,

As with many other countries, we will be celebrating Mother's Day this coming Sunday here in Hong Kong. I always found that strange, since Hong Kong was a British colony and followed most UK holidays, so it really should be in March or the 4th Sunday in Lent.

Mother's day here usually means packed restaurants and florists selling more carnations in one day, than the whole year put together. My favourite part though is having a nice lie in while Miss C and her daddy fiddle about in the kitchen together, rustling up my breakfast before snuggling in together on the bed.

This year will probably be no different, however, craft-wise, I wanted to concentrate on my own mum. My parents live two floors below us in our building and are really getting on. Dad's not very steady on his feet anymore and Mum has always been the rock for us. She's an amazing lady, been through a lot in her life and does everything with poise and dignity. She's been such a guiding light and I can always hear her voice in everything that I do. Many of my own actions and decisions come rooted from her and my dad and I feel that I have been a better person because of it.

I wanted to show my appreciation this year, with a framed photo gift and card. I've made them with a vintage vibe and I know she'll love this better than any other gift I could purchase.

Framed Vintage Mother's Day Gift
I brushed gesso over a small white Ikea frame, before completely covering it with brown acrylic paint. I then brushed on a layer of Silks paint in Nutmeg, before highlighting in gold arcylic. After it was all dry, I used a piece of fine sandpaper to rub off some of the paint from corners and edges.
A pretty selection of Prima flowers clustered together to form a permanent bouquet.
I've had this butterfly in my stash for the longest time. I added "rubies" to make it pop.

Mother's Day Card
An easy 3.5" x 8" card with ready made embellishments. I backed it with some gorgeous old Pink Paislee paper, before gluing on two different strips of lace.
Prima flowers and some Pink Paislee die-cuts bulk out the card. I also added a cameo to the bottom die-cut and a pink rose cabochon to the small pink flower.

 Hope you all have a wonderful Mother's day,








No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...